May 17, 2016

"We are fortunate enough to have a fireplace, so I thought: Why not dry it the way they do in Italy?"

"I did, even if it drove the dogs mad, hanging temptingly just behind the screen in the unlit fireplace. Three weeks later I was rewarded with something I felt I didn’t do enough to deserve: It looked Old World on the outside, all tough and dry, the inside a strip of meat encased in almost buttery, flavorful fat."

From "Just Add Salt: How to Make Bacon and Pancetta at Home," by Ian Fisher in the NYT.

5 comments:

David said...

This is why people from New York are convinced that they know best how the nation should be run. Fuck your strawberry preserves and preserved rutabaga, you flyover retards. This is how its done.

Michael K said...

My father once slaughtered a hog. I was about 10 and I got to singe the hair off the pork belly, it's really called that.

I also got to make the sausage. You cut up the kidneys and other parts and grind them up.

When I was finally finished, I was allowed to have some egg nog with the other slaughter team members. I was the only kid and I didn't know for years afterward why the egg nog made me dizzy and then I had to take a nap.

buwaya said...

Why not indeed.
This was one of my dads hobbies.
Ultimately he had a small business on the side, for a few years, supplying Basque-style sausages and smoked meats to Spanish restaurants in Manila.
Guess who was the workforce.
I know very well how sausage is made.

MadisonMan said...

Why not dry it the way they do in Italy?

Because you're not in Italy? Italian Climate != New York Climate.

Michael K said...

"I know very well how sausage is made."

That makes two of us, plus Bismarck of course.