June 26, 2008

Coffee, blogging, morphine, guns.

I've been reading things for the last 2 hours and haven't found anything bloggable. I'm beginning to think it's not the news. It's me. I'm having a medical test that demands that I not drink anything this morning. (A routine test.) And I really want some coffee. This blog — I'm beginning to think — is fueled by coffee. Without coffee... I've got nothing. I'll have morphine before I have my next cup of coffee. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court is going to give us the answer on guns today. Collective right or individual right? I'll put up a post so you can talk about it without me. I'll be back here eventually... with, I'm told, impaired judgment (from the morphine). Yet my brain is already impaired from lack of coffee....

UPDATE: I'm back. I checked the news on my iPhone before I went in for the procedure and saw how them D.C. guns case came out. Now, I want to catch up on the news, but should I read with impaired judgment? I might get some crazy ideas.

UPDATE 2: I wrote the first update 3 and a half hours ago and haven't accomplished anything since, even though I drank black coffee at the hospital and coffee and milk as soon as I got home. While you were here reading this and maybe mocking me for writing "them D.C. guns case," I was not off doing crazy things in a morphine-induced craziness. I mean I did one thing rash with my impaired judgment. I got a telephone call from Wisconsin Public Radio asking me to go on the Joy Cardin Show tomorrow morning at 6 to talk about the D.C. guns case and I said yes. So then I looked up the case on line and read one sentence, then decided watching some TV discussion of it [was] all I could handle. I curled up in bed, turned on the TV, and proceeded to sleep for 3 hours. So that's the truth about me. You can [see] I wouldn't make a good drug-partying type. My impulse is to conk out. But I'm still on the show tomorrow. That phone call wasn't some druggie dream. I'd better read the case and collect my thoughts. And I really will blog about it.

14 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bissage said...

I'll be back here eventually... with, I'm told, impaired judgment (from the morphine).

YEAH, BABY!!!

Let’s have some morphine blogging!

Seriously though, best wishes and good luck.

Icepick said...

To paraphrase Alfréd Rényi,

A blogger is a machine for converting coffee into blog posts.

Unknown said...

The hell with oil, the fate of Western Civilization rests with the coffee bean.

Peter V. Bella said...

Good luck with the test. I always preferred Demerol myself.

MadisonMan said...

I hope you pass your test.

I thought for sure you'd find the story on the Madison Planning Commission considering a ban on drive-throughs -- and the laughable and totally predictable mini media storm it generated -- to be bloggable.

Anonymous said...

AA said: Collective right or individual right?

I'm thinking "individual right or no right" is a more appropriate phrasing. Oh, sorry. Forgot again. Government good. Must keep repeating. Must keep repeating. Noooooo...

Morphine for "routine" test? Must be a woman thing. Enjoy the buzz. Hope the results are positive and arrive quickly.

William said...

Several years ago I had a test that involved the use of demerol. To tell you the truth, I was kind of looking forward to it. I thought I would have visions of stately pleasure domes and that the experience would be memorably pleasurable. No such luck. It was the mildest of highs--not even comparable to three shots of Jack Daniels...What was memorable was the depression that came on after the demerol wore off. It was the bleakest, downest day that I can remember, and I am not famous for my upbeat moods. Maybe that is why drug addicts go to such extreme lengths to obtain heroin. They do no crave the high so much as they fear the down....At any rate, good luck with your tests. Stay away from Bergman films and Morris documentaries for the next few days and continue to get drunk of daffodils.

James Wigderson said...

Love the headline. How long before a rockband write's a song with that title?

Simon said...

"I'll be back here eventually... with, I'm told, impaired judgment"

Saddle the horses, Morty ! To Madison!

Ruth Anne Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
XWL said...

I checked the news on my iPhone before I went in for the procedure and saw how them D.C. guns case came out.

Ruth Anne beat me to noticing that typo.

But I believe the proper usage in "Old Coot" (the language codified and expressed by Walter Brennan in many a film) should have been, "I checked that thar news on my dangnab fancy schmancy iPhone before I went in for that thar procedure, and saw them Supremes had done decided that thar DC guns case."

(in old coot, one shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition)

MadisonMan said...

Jethro Althouse.

John Stodder said...

I drank coffee with gusto for 36 years until one day this January, without giving it any forethought, I stopped. I was out of coffee and just decided that was it, I'm not buying any more. I've been on a combination of green tea in the mornings and black tea at mid-day since then. And I think I'm sharper mentally as a result. A few weeks later, I stopped drinking alcohol, but I haven't been much of a drinker for the past 20 years.

Coffee is a brain-ripper, just like alcohol, cigarettes and drugs. They all form lesions in the brain. Who needs that?