September 13, 2006

"Project Runway."

Well, a lot of things happened tonight, but in the end, exactly what you knew would happen happened. Kayne got eliminated. Something was missing at the taste level. We'd been told that ten times. Another thing I knew -- once they said there would be some special guests -- was that they'd be bringing back eliminated contestants. Do I have ESP or was that obvious? When Heidi called for the entrance of the first mystery guest, I knew it was going to be Vincent. And I knew he and Angela would be sent off once again, since they had to win to stay, and they weren't going to win. And when they gave the home viewers a chance to vote on which contestant they'd rather have seen return, you would have been safe betting any amount of money that the answer was going to be Alison. And it wasn't suprising that Michael made one of the nicest dresses and also took time out to help another contestant (Kayne).

So what was surprising? It was surprising that Laura acted so weak. Her confidence was shattered, she'd been blindsided, she was so terribly tired. She cried. But it wasn't all weakness. She had the strength to bully Angela, really to try to play a mind game on her, telling her she didn't deserve another chance. And Laura made the prettiest dress and won. It was a tad surprising that Angela dealt with the requirement to use all the fabric by stuffing lots of leftovers into a purse, that she tried to justify it as needed to puff out the purse, and that Heidi pointed out the purse in question had rigid sides and what was in it had no effect on its shape. It was kind of surprising that the tattoo boy, Jeffrey, finished in the bottom two, though not the slightest bit suprising that he survived. The judges swing back and forth with him. They either like their rock and roll boy, or they wonder why he is always the rock and roll boy. Well, I like him, and I even liked his goofy cocktail dress with plastic leg casings. So what if we keep getting Gwen Stefani?

Then there was the highlight of the night: Michael Kors imitating Uli, saying, in her German accent: Well, I live in hot wezzer. Clearly, they are sick of Uli's Miami mentality, and the smart bets say she's going home next week. The final three are Michael, Laura, and Jeffrey. And Michael wins.

9 comments:

Palladian said...

Fen- Apparently she is ok. She had a bicycle accident, but recovered and apparently modeled in some shows during fashion week.

I watched PR for the first time tonight at the laundromat (!), the Paris episode and the new one. What a fun show! I wish I had cable... cable? I wish I had a TV! It's funny that I had a handle on the various personalities based solely on Ann's posts about the show. Oh, and I hate Jeffrey, mostly because his "rock and roll" schtick reminds me of all the grotesque "rock and roll" hipsters that wander around my neighborhood in Brooklyn. Ick! Take a bath! Take the sunglasses off!

Joan said...

Palladian, I am now a PR junkie, and it's all Ann's fault for getting me into it with her winsome posts.

Jeffrey's outfit tonight was, to quote Tim Gunn, a "hot mess," but I knew Kayne would be going because, duh, he didn't use any white. I thought Kayne's dress was lovely from the front, though -- the back needed a little help. But Jeffrey's "dress" looked like something a streetwalker would wear.

I was so, so happy when Laura won! She's fabulous, and I have so much admiration for her for even attempting PR -- I'm just a little older than she is, and I can't imagine doing what she's doing, much less being first-trimester pregnant (can you say exhaustion?) while doing it.

That said, I agree that the final 3 will be Michael, Laura, and Jeff, and that Michael will win it all -- unless Michael is this season's Daniel, which makes Laura Chloe, and means she'll win. Could go either way.

David A. Carlson said...

Mike wins

But Allison would of won this week - you know it.

KCFleming said...

The tattoo boy's act is a tired one. Add ten years to his frame, a bit of a gut, and see what you think. By then the "Detroit" starts wrinkling and looks intermittently like "Derit", puzzling passersby why he's plugging a danish sauce company.
Really, the angry adolescent schtick just tells me he needs a good whack upside the head.

He's stuck at maybe 16 or 17 years old, fashion-wise. Seriously, this is the same crap worn by the Sex Pistols, The Cramps, The Specials, and Siouxsie & The Banshees. Sheesh, is this all new to Michael Kors? I think Jeffrey just fell in love with his mom's stash of NME and The Face magazines and never got over it.

OhioAnne said...

I tuned in just in time to see the runway show. May I say that the collar on Angela's dress looked like a fungus I have growing on a tree in the woods behind my house?

It would have been much more fun to have Allison back than either Vincent or Angela.

I also loved the front of Kayne's dress. I have to agree with his elimination but I thought the idea of the dress is a good one.

Both Uli and Jeffrey tend to do the same thing - which is why I've wondered why Jeffrey has gotten away with it, but Uli hasn't. I thought both outfits looked more like something from a lingerie show than a cocktail dress show.

And Michael's was fabulous ....

Ann Althouse said...

"It would have been much more fun to have Allison back than either Vincent or Angela."

I think Vincent and Angela were a special kind of fun in that they were always troublemakers and they maximized the freakout factor in bringing back eliminated contestants. Angela, especially, drove both Jeffrey and Laura nuts and led to some of the best dialogue and confessionals. If Alison came back, they couldn't really have been mean to her and said she had her shot and didn't deserve another. The whole vibe would have been different. But it might have been better, because she'd have had a shot at winning, and two on the final five would really have been at risk. It would have been a more serious -- not fun -- show about, you know, designing clothes.

OhioAnne said...

But it might have been better, because she'd have had a shot at winning, and two on the final five would really have been at risk.

And that risk factor is what I would like to have seen ...

Neither Angela or Vincent ever impressed me for their designs. Angela's win was a group project (as I recall) and Vincent's (again, as I recall) was mostly the best in a bad field of choices.

BTW, since I missed most of the show, who was Laura referring to as "the Olson twins" in the previews? Was it Vincent and Angela?

knox said...

Seriously, this is the same crap worn by the Sex Pistols, The Cramps, The Specials, and Siouxsie & The Banshees.

True, but it's back in fashion right now. Unfortunately. And I too have wondered what he's going to do when his neck gets wrinkly. That's gonna be real attractive.

I'm so glad Laura finally won one. And she deserved it. I am already worrying about how she's going to get her line done (got her line done I guess) for fashion week.

Joan said...

OhioAnne, Laura's comment about the Olsen Twins was a reference to how the judges are always complaining that her designs are too "old". The baby doll silhouette she produced last night was the most "youthful" look she has attempted all season, and she executed it perfectly.

The more I see of Jeffrey, the more I realize his style is just 80's rock-n-roll redux. Ew. However, I was watching bonus video over on Bravo yesterday, and saw some of the interactions between Jeffrey and the other designers, and he comes across as a much nicer guy. The editing really does portray him as screwier than he really is -- whereas with Angela and Vincent, the editing was actually quite kind to them!