September 14, 2005

Why I'm so late getting to the Day 3 hearings.

Well, I just got a tooth pulled, with just novocaine and nitrous. It was pretty intense, involving sawing the tooth in pieces because it was too firmly attached to pull out all at once. I suppose if I'd known that would happen, I'd have gone with the IV sedation. But once you're in the middle of the procedure, you just have to keep going, no matter how crazy it gets! It didn't exactly hurt but it was harrowing, even with nitrous. The good part is, I feel fine now. But the novocaine hasn't worn off yet.

I'm contemplating getting the painkiller prescription filled, but probably won't. When they handed me the prescription, I said, "Is this the stuff Rush Limbaugh was addicted to?" I don't want to feel groggy or be forbidden to drive. And then they told me I couldn't go in and teach my class on those drugs. I didn't say, "But Rush did his radio show!" But I thought it.

I think I'm just going get by on Advil and vanilla Haagen Dazs — and cognac.

They told me to take it easy, which I'm assuming encompasses spending the rest of the day taking in the Roberts hearings. So if you're stopping by here looking for summaries of the Day 3 hijinks, you'll have to give me a little more lead time.

I did hear a little in the car: Dianne Feinstein listing the names of murder victims the Gun-Free School Zones Act would have saved (because, you know, murder isn't illegal), and Chuck Schumer freaking out about how Roberts won't answer the questions. Don't they care that they make themselves look like fools? Or do they just think we won't notice?

18 comments:

Kurt said...

Get an icepack on your cheek before the swelling starts. That will help minimize the pain. Also, at least pop a couple aspirin or Aleve before the novocain wears off. (At least that worked pretty well for me)

Joseph Angier said...

The big question to consider from today's hearings: Roberts' favorite movies are "North By Northwest" and "Doctor Zhivago" ... two films I like, but never had strong feelings about. Which means: I can't decide whether those choices should qualify or disqualify him from being Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Maybe we can subpoena his "Top Ten" list from the last few decades.

(And thank God he blew back the hackneyed "Casablanca" bait dangled by Senator Schumer.)

Laura Reynolds said...

I also once had periodontal work done, they called it "flap surgery" and was ok without painkillers, but I used ice and OTCs. When I had a tooth removed many years ago (one they had to break apart) he gave me intraveeous Valium, "you'll know what's going on but you won't care." Take your time with the commentary, I already know the ending.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Advil does work well.

We have such great senators don't we? Murder victims who would not have been if we had more laws- how can DiFi even say that with out being embarrassed? What a joke (both sides) the Senate has become.

And I have loathed Shumer since last year when he crashed Fordham commencement and gave unscheduled talk.

I don't follow the hearings much- they bore me with their non-stop bloviating.

Joan said...

I second the ice, but my personal painkiller favorite is ibuprofen. Even Tylenol with codeine never worked that well for me. The ice will definitely help keep the bruising down, too. When the docs have to wrestle with your face like that, you feel it in other places than just where the tooth itself was removed.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself incapable of forming coherent sentences, even if the strongest thing you take is cognac. Your body has just been traumatized, and the exhaustion will effect your brain functions, too.

Jillene said...

i think rush was into Oxycontin and if the dentist gave you that he deserves a good poke in the eye.

Ann Althouse said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ann Althouse said...

It's Oxycodone.

Robert said...

Ann, if you want to avoid the groggies from painkillers, one useful technique is to get some cotton gauze and soak it in a nice liqueur or other booze; Grand Marnier, for preference. Then just jam the cotton gauze where your tooth was removed. The alcohol numbs the area and the trickle you swallow gives you a nice warm mellow. One shot will last you an hour or so. Good to get through a bad patch,

MaxedOutMama said...

Ann, I'm sorry about your teeth. I had four wisdom teeth taken out that way and it was a little unpleasant.

No, after listening I have concluded that they don't care how stupid they appear. That Feinstein moment was a screamer.

Charlie Martin said...

Why worry now? How much stupider could they look?

ploopusgirl said...

Joan, FYI: Advil is Ibuprofen.

ploopusgirl said...

Oxycodone with APAP? It's just Percocet, not OxyContin.

Joan said...

ploopusgirl, I do know that, but as I was responding/chiming in with Kurt, and he mentioned aspirin and Aleve, I put in my plug for ibuprofen. I'm really not that dense... just a bit sloppy today.

Troy said...

Anne,

You better either wait 'til the novocaine abates before drinking the cognac or drink it straight down. Drooling cognac would be pathetic and a waste of cognac (but would make a good photo -- hint hint).

Hope you feel better soon. My assistant has an abcess -- ay caramba I hate tooth pain

Unknown said...

"I'm contemplating getting the painkiller prescription filled, but probably won't."

Been there. Done that. Get it filled.

P_J said...

Ann,

Ouch. I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in high school. Get some rest, let your body recover, and get to feeling better soon. Cold helps a lot. I agree with the recommendation of ice packs. I suppose liquor can't hurt, either :)


My dentist has a couple of horrible posters in the exam area -a "history of dentistry" thing and one on gum disease from the "scare them straight" school. Makes me very glad to be living in this age.

Ken Pierce said...

Bummer about the teeth. My wife has been through a ton of major dental surgery (she has mostly dental implants by now); so I can tell it ain't fun. I hope you feel better soon.