May 6, 2005

So, is it always 1969 in Madison?

Yesterday, I posted a couple pictures of the t-shirts in the window of our local hippie nostalgia store -- Sunshine Daydream -- which led a commenter to write "The people in Madison must be really poorly dressed." Not to be baited, my response was "Yes, all we wear is tie-dyed hippie clothes!" Then somebody else wrote "So, is it always 1969 in Madison?"

Today, I got in my car to go in to the Law School faculty meeting and the satellite radio was set on the 60s "Decades" channel and the song playing was "Hair," from the "Album of the Week" "Hair." Next song: "Good Morning Starshine." Then, the news from 1969. (Did you know Ted Kennedy opposed the death penalty for Sirhan Sirhan?)

So, is it always 1969 in Madison?

I arrive at the faculty meeting and the first person I see is Tonya. Nice shirt!

Tie-dye Tonya

9 comments:

pst314 said...

Ann,

Do you remember the store just off State Street that sold pyramid power waterbeds? There was a pyramid-shaped open wood frame rising from the corners of the bed with a metal cap at the peak. And matching pyramid-shaped nightstands. They disappered sometime in the 90's, I think.

Pancho said...

Is this the same Tonya that was captured by the Symbionese Liberation Front???

Oh, wait, that was Tanya.

Ron said...

Oh, My God!

Looks like a Raptor has gotten free, and has been chewing on Tonya! Those are teeth marks! Flee in terror!

Contributors said...

Tonya got a number?

Finn Alexander Kristiansen said...

She does look kinda cute, and mellow.

CandyAcidReign said...

Very Vibrant shirt and smile!

Ann Althouse said...

Lindsay: I'm just sensitve about the Madison unstylishness. Sorry.

Ann Althouse said...

Lindsey: there are some stylish aspects to Madison. I'm inclined to highlight them in my blog. But there is a mired-in-the-past aspect of this place too. To some extent I find it charming or at least forgiveably familiar. But it does give people in more stylish places plenty of material to use in putdowns.

Ron said...

Ann:

Ann Arbor and Madison, I think, are alike in the stylish/hippies-in-amber quotient. Is it a function of universityness, midwesterness or both? Are other Big Ten schools similarily afflicted?