January 21, 2016

"For a man who loathed being called a minimalist..."

"... Donald Judd surrounded himself with only the essentials—a mattress covered in plain white sheets on the floor, basic wooden tables and chairs, and bare lightbulbs in the ceilings."

From a Vogue slideshow "Monet, O’Keeffe, and More: Inside the Inspiring Homes of 10 Legendary Artists." Click the photos to enlarge them. The choices are all quite interesting. I love getting a look at workspaces that are very revealing of the person who worked there. (For example, I love the book "The Writer's Desk.")

6 comments:

traditionalguy said...

Waiting For Godot furnishings. It needs some clutter.

Ann Althouse said...

I love the Georgia O'Keeffe for many reasons, only one of which is the tiny bed in the huge nearly empty room.

Ann Althouse said...

The Monet is wonderful because it causes you to fly into a temporary insanity where you imagine that maybe what you should do is paint everything in your dining room a strong medium yellow -- walls, ceiling, window frames, chairs.

mccullough said...

I lived in spartan circumstances in my early 20s and look forward to doing it again. I love the George Carlin routine about Stuff

William said...

It's uncanny how their homes are just as illustrative of their psyche as their paintings.......All their homes expressed serenity and beauty and looked like they would be wonderful places in which to live. The exception was Jackson Pollock. His place looked untidy and crammed. I'm bound to confess that if I lived in O'Keefe's space it would look like a Pollock painting within two weeks.

Dr Weevil said...

Looks like Donald Judd (whom I had never heard of before) had a bed big enough for two or more, lots of very large windows, and (so far as I can tell) no curtains. Did he put on interesting shows for the neighbors?