December 20, 2014

"UW-Madison graduate students trump 3 teams, win 'Amazing Race.'"

"The 'Sweet Scientists' team, aptly named for DeJong and Warren’s research topics of candy and ice cream, barely made it to the finale after finishing behind three other teams at the end of last week’s episode. But in a surprise ending, the show kept the duo for the finale, which elicited some frustrated remarks throughout the episode from the other teams."

I'm glad to see a UW team win. I didn't watch because I have tried and failed to enjoy "The Amazing Race." I tried, because it's said to be good. I failed, because it involved scenes of travel difficulties, dealing with airport personnel at ticket counters and so forth, and that's too real.

8 comments:

Original Mike said...

"I failed, because it involved scenes of travel difficulties, dealing with airport personnel at ticket counters and so forth, and that's too real."

I've never watched it, and this makes me glad I didn't. I don't need images like that in my head. Same reason I don't watch medical dramas.

rehajm said...

For a show based in part on navigation skills some of those contestestants get quite off track. I see where one group got so lost they ended up on Survivor.

At least they won while they were there.

Original Mike said...

Good one, rehajm.

MadisonMan said...

My brother watched it. I've seen one episode, and it involved the contestants going down a really tall water slide, and one of the height phobic team members couldn't.

Meh.

Glenn Howes said...

I am an avid watcher of the Amazing Race and this year I was pleased to see the awkward, good natured UW grad students somehow keep in the race. I would have not picked them to win at any time up to the point when they turned out to be strong enough swimmers to not be blown away by the professional surfers and the final road block was absolutely in there wheelhouse.

As someone who also trained to be a scientist at UW, I put myself in their shoes a lot, as when they naively almost let the wrestlers lying cause them to be eliminated. I could see the younger me being flummoxed by the concept of being straight up lied to.

So congratulations sweet scientists.

Curious George said...

Obviously there were no Ohio State graduate teams on the show.

kjbe said...

We were watching this, last night, until we realized The Alonzo Stagg Bowl was on. Way to go UW-Whitewater (and UW's food science department - husband's a grad)!

Anonymous said...

Madison Man says "Meh".

Why is it that so many feel the need to enter a discussion only to effectively say "This topic is beneath me" ?

To those of that ilk: Meh.