November 8, 2014

Tinder "is a much better app when you don’t message anyone... because then it becomes a self-esteem boost."

"Anytime you open it, there’s a list of people who said they would have sex with you. It’s a little validating."
Since a lot of her matches don’t end up messaging her after an initial expression of mutual interest (swiping right on each other’s picture), it “makes me think others are using it the same way,” she said. “It’s fun to swipe people left or right and be in a powerful position without having to go on an actual date with them and get to know that they’re a disappointing person.”
Safe sex.  Really safe sex. You can't be too safe. Or maybe you can.

7 comments:

David said...

It's validating all right, but she might want to reflect on what is being validated.

Ignorance is Bliss said...

...without having to go on an actual date with them and get to know that they’re a disappointing person.

Or that you are.

MadisonMan said...

The daughter (21) says all of her cohorts only use it as entertainment. I guess the article you quote confirms that.

rehajm said...

It's validating for pretty people.

Anonymous said...

Validating or harassing, especially to college girls and feminists, for whom a "hello" is a prelude to rape.

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

I find that profoundly depressing in a hard-to-articulate way.

Making sex and relationships into a consumer activity. Like skimming the Banana Republic website for cute tops.

Yuck.

Anonymous said...

A first today (for me) - penis text pics from an unknown #. Full frontal and face followed until I 1) consulted my BFF atty, 2) sent a C&D response/text.
"Another Saturday Night, and I aint got nobody…."