December 25, 2013

"Cabbed up to Jerry and Mick’s apartment for Christmas lunch."

"Jerry’s pregnant sister Cyndy just married Robin Lehman, and so everybody was happy. Jerry’s mother was there. Jerry had an apron on that when you unzippered it a big cock came out, so I was taking funny pictures of that, her cooking a turkey with a cock in her hand."

From "The Andy Warhol Diaries," found as I search for "Christmas" in my Kindle books. Kindle conks out after it finds 100 of whatever it is you are searching for, so all I can say is that Christmas appears more than 100 times in Andy's diary, so it's not as though that was the only one I could find. I am responsible for selecting that. But I'll give you another one. This one has Nancy Reagan in it. The year is 1981:

Bob warned me that when we go to Washington to interview Nancy Reagan for the cover I couldn’t ask her any “sex questions.” And I just couldn’t believe him. I mean, I just couldn’t believe him. Did he think I was going to sit there and ask her how often do they do it?...

We were early getting to the White House, we got in and then Nancy Reagan came in and we were in the same room. And a waiter brought in four glasses of water. Doria was with us. We talked about drug rehabilitation and it was boring. I made a couple of mistakes but I didn’t care because I was still so mad at being told by Bob not to ask sex questions.

She had an assistant who sat there and took notes, and they said they weren’t doing their own tape of the interview but I’m sure they were. Bob had his tape recorder and I had mine. I took four pictures. Mrs. Reagan gave Doria a piece of Tupperware, not wrapped or anything, and she gave her three boxes of socks for Ron. Bob was telling Mrs. Reagan she was such a good mother. He asked what they were doing for Christmas and she said they were going to stay at the White House because nobody ever stays at the White House...

Got to New York... When I walked in the door the phone was ringing and it was Brigid asking me what kind of tea Mrs. Reagan served us and then I started thinking and I got madder. I mean, she could have put on the dog— she could have done it in a good room, she could have used the good china!
And as long as we're thinking about First Ladies, there also this from 1983:
Shook hands with Jackie O., she never invited me to her Christmas party again, so she’s a creep. And now I wouldn’t go if she did. I’d tell her to go mind her own business. I mean, I’m the same age, so I can tell her off. Although I do feel like she’s older than me. But then, I feel like everybody’s older than me.

9 comments:

pm317 said...

tupperware!

David said...

Warhol is from Pittsburgh, my home town. Tupperware is the perfect gift.

Anonymous said...

Great. Now I am Picturing Nancy Reagan in a French Maid Outfit. Red, of Course. Fluffy Duster. Tickle Tickle.

pm317 said...

Thank you, David, again. I didn't know that.

Anonymous said...

Agree on the Tupperware. If, at Dinnertime, One Were to Slip with the Carving Knife One Could Safely Lock in the Penis Along with Freshness for the Ride to the Hospital.

This Also Applies if Mexican Drug Cartels are Invited for Egg Nog.

SGT Ted said...

My uncle gave one of those aprons to my dad for Christmas one year.

I had a cousin who was part of the Warhol scene way back when. He is mentioned, quoted and some of his own pictures have been used in books about Warhol and other pop culture sorta famous people, like Edie Sedgwick, who were in the scene at the time.

I was always fascinated with his stories of the bohemian scene he was a part of back then. He's dead now. His name was Ed Hennessy. I miss his gentleness and humor. We used to exchange funny and odd gifts for Christmas from time to time. He once gave me a thick tome written completely in Chinese. I still have it.

Bob R said...

We live in wonderful times. When you read about someone in an apron with a big cock, you can Google "penis apron" and get a bunch of pictures and offers on eBay. You get 200,000 hits when you Google "Nancy Reagan French maid" but the first one is this thread, so it really doesn't count.

Anonymous said...

Re: "You get 200,000 hits when you Google "Nancy Reagan French maid" but the first one is this thread, so it really doesn't count."

On the Contrary, it Counts Even More. The Power of Althouse, the Stupidity that is Betamax: You Gotta Come Here First.

Anonymous said...

For instance, if you Google "lesbian hot dog stand workers" the First Two Choices are Althouse Posts. Words are Power.