April 29, 2010

What word in what Frank Sinatra song would Siobvan Magnus have magnificently shrieked?

She got sent home last night, so it's alternate reality speculation. But look at the song list — after the jump — it's real. "American Idol" will do Sinatra next week. (Via Throwing Things, where Adam realizes he can't understand America's taste.)

Which of the 5 that are left will do best with this sort of material, and what do you want to hear each one sing?

Here are the songs — all painfully better than any of the Shania Twain stuff they did this week:

  • All or Nothing At All
  • All the Way
  • Anything Goes
  • As Time Goes By
  • Blue Moon
  • Blue Skies
  • Come Dance with Me
  • Come Fly With Me
  • Come Rain or Come Shine
  • Fly Me to The Moon (In Other Words)
  • I Get A Kick Out of You
  • I Love Paris
  • I Only Have Eyes For You
  • I’ve Got a Crush On You
  • I’ve Got the World on a String
  • I’ve Got You Under My Skin
  • In The Still of the Night
  • In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning
  • It Had to Be You
  • It Was a Very Good Year
  • Just One of Those Things
  • Love and Marriage
  • Love is Here to Stay
  • Love Walked In
  • My Funny Valentine
  • My Kind of Town
  • My Way
  • New York, New York (From “On the Town”)
  • Night and Day
  • One For My Baby
  • Pennies From Heaven
  • Put Your Dreams Away
  • Someone to Watch Over Me
  • Somethin’ Stupid
  • Strangers in the Night
  • Street of Dreams
  • Summer Wind
  • That’s All
  • That’s Life
  • The Best is Yet to Come
  • The Good Life
  • The Lady is a Tramp
  • The Way You Look Tonight
  • They Can’t Take that Away From Me
  • What Is This Thing Called Love
  • Witchcraft
  • You Do Something To Me
  • You Make Me Feel So Young
  • You’re Getting to Be a Habit with Me
  • Young at Heart
I hope no one thinks it's a good idea to do "My Way" or "New York, New York." I love "Someone to Watch Over Me" as sung by Sinatra, but it's a dangerous song for a man to sing without sounding like a pussy — or a little lamb that's lost in the woods. I would advise Aaron not to sing "You Make Me Feel So Young." (He's 17.) "One For My Baby" is also a dangerous song — very heavy on the drinking and driving.

20 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

"That’s Life" is an idolatish kind of song.

al said...

I think Siobvan was the wrong person to send home. She was, IMO, one of the top 2 or 3 performers this week.

OTOH the song she picked to sing at the end was perfect. She may be one of those that does better than the eventual winner.

Bushman of the Kohlrabi said...

You're making the assumption that her shrieks are magnificent. I would disagree.

MadisonMan said...

Can one of them sing the Allen Sherman version of You're getting to be a Habit with me? That would be entertaining.

Siobhan's time to go was here. She didn't improve from week to week. Plus her chosen song is a proven killer: Mandisa chose it also, and was sent home. Is she less entertaining than Casey or Big Mike? Not at all. The bottom 3 was perfect last night. If only they could've sent them all home.

Sweet Child O Mine said...

Oh she was so bad, I did want to hate on her longer tho-the faces she made were priceless. Aaron????

SteveR said...

Siobhan reminded me of Carly a few seasons ago, seemingly had more potential that was actually seen. The shrieks were a definite distraction, who told her they sounded good or were a good idea.

As for Sinatra, I agree about My Way and New York, New York. Those aren't believable for that group along with many of his songs but they are tempting and that's dangerous.

paul a'barge said...

The Lady is a Tramp.

Triangle Man said...

"My Way" is the most shriekable. Contestants should steer away from it because they could be killed for a poor performance.

It's hard to match Sinatra up with any of the remaining singers, except Aaron. He's going to charm the Moms with one of the light upbeat songs. Two of my favorites are "Fly Me to The Moon" and "World on a String".

Leland said...

Agree with Triangle Man... given the chance, she would shriek out "My Way".

Hope someone does "Fly me to the Moon".

Joe said...

I hope you were being sarcastic, otherwise I agree with Bushman; on what planet were Siobhan's shrieks anything other than spine shattering?

MadisonMan said...

I really don't see many of the remaining men as people who swing. Casey? Don't make me laugh. Big Mike? He can croon, I admit, but not with swagger, not really. Maybe Lee, but Sinatra songs with Constipation Voice Singing might not work very well.

Despite Althouse's admonition, I think Aaron should sing You make me feel so young. I think he could rock it.

Crystal should sing Someone to Watch Over Me. She's the only one who can.

Triangle Man said...

I can see Casey doing "The Way You Look Tonight". Crystal could do a great "Someone To Watch Over Me". I think Big Mike is done next week, but let's line him up for "My Funny Valentine".


I could have seen Siobhan doing "My Funny Valentine" too, but I can't put my finger on the shreikable moment in that one.

BJM said...

Well. Every time I pick a probable winner they go home. So not to ruin a perfect score; I pick Mike as the next AI.

"My Funny Valentine" would have been perfect for Siobhan although she was dissed by the judges for not shrieking.

I can't imagine any of the remaining five, except perhaps Aaron, successfully adapting anything from the Sinatra catalog.

I too love "Someone to Watch Over Me" as sung by Sinatra, and Linda Ronstadt (from "What's New"); but, for me, this is the gold standard.

alwaysfiredup said...

Siobhan was awful and a one trick pony. Whatever they sing, I would love to hear the contestants sound nothing like either Frank Sinatra or Siobhan Magnus.

And, seriously, hipster country? WTF?

Ann Althouse said...

"Magnificent" was just playing with her last name.

Bender said...

Siobhan would have done well with something like The Shadow of Your Smile.

I really liked her, but have thought that she does need to tone it down a bit. The big note is impressive when used judiciously, but not every time. She needed to show that she could sing in a more low-key, understated fashion.

-----------

As for the others, I'd like to see them do some of Sinatra's Bossa Nova stuff, as opposed to his nightclub repertoire.

PJ said...

@TriMan, @BJM (+threadhopping)

You want My Funny Valentine?
Here's yer My Funny Valentine.

Take that, York.

muddimo said...

It's Siobhan. There is no v, just a v sound provided by the bh.

Anonymous said...

Magnus would have killed with a fast version of Blue Skies.

AJGodinho said...

I was surprised that Siobvan was packed off as well. She was definitely among the top 5. I enjoyed the Sinatra week though 'cos I'm a fan and these are My Favourite Frank Sinatra Songs.