June 4, 2006

Photos...

By Bill Wyman:



The one of Brian Jones, seen in a rear view mirror, is very evocative. Brian Jones looked so smudged up just before he died. I think of his picture here:



When that album came out I was shocked to see how bad he'd come to look, like some shrunken gnome.

(This is the album they play in the tent in "The Royal Tenenbaums." Though they are playing the vinyl disc, the right song doesn't follow "Ruby Tuesday" -- very striking to someone who's played the album more than a thousand times.)

ADDED: I'm just reading over quotes from the movie "The Royal Tenenbaums." I love that movie.
I did find it odd when you said you were in love with her. She's married you know.

Yeah.

And she's your sister.

Adopted.
So much better than "Match Point," which we watched last night. Why compare them? Just because we watched "Match Point" last night, and something today reminded me of "The Royal Tenenbaums." They do both have a lot of tennis in them -- and loving the wrong person -- but they play out quite differently. And TRT is immensely better.

"Match Point" quotes:
I don't know what I'm doing with you, you're never going to leave Chloe!

Maybe I will.

Stop playing games with me!

Keep your voice down.
Huh? That was typed in as "memorable"? Pathetic.

MORE: Hmmm.... I knew I'd blogged about "The Royal Tenenbaums" before. And it's true that the right song doesn't precede "Ruby Tuesday."

9 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

It's weird. I hadn't thought of Brian Jones in years. But then, I decided to listen to the second volume of 'The Beatles Anthology' the other day and the liner notes mentioned something I'd forgotten: That's Brian Jones playing the saxophone at the end of the Beatles' great novelty song, 'You Know My Name (Look Up the Number).'

Then, two days later, you post about him. Great minds and all...

Mark

Ron said...

Ah, Keith may look like he's preparing to fight, but he's just looking for a clean vein between his fingers...

That's why Mick is laughing it up!

Rick Lee said...

FYI, the link to the photos "By Bill Wyman" doesn't lead to anything useful.

Ann Althouse said...

Rick: That's all I can do for the link. There was no accompanying article, just a link to a "gallery" from the CNN.com front page. Here's a book of Bill's from a few years back that contains some of his photos. Please go to the link and buy it...

Dave: TRT is a movie for people who like movies like that. There aren't too many movies made for us, so ....

michael farris said...

For me, TRT is a kind of guilty pleasure, I recognize all sorts of things wrong with it as a movie but still enjoyed it immensely, unlike the person I saw it with who just couldn't identify with anything in it.

Ann Althouse said...

Dave: Just the kind of people who like things like that. It's hard to say exactly where the magic lies. There is so much wonderfulness to be had in TRT. The first few minutes are so sublime that I was ready to accept whatever came after. And Angelica Huston counts for a lot. It's just so weird, such a personal vision of the filmmaker. And it's always fun. There are all sorts of little things that amuse. There's the music. The look of the house. ... It's just everything.

Troy said...

Conversation between Mia and Woody:

I did find it odd when you said you were in love with her. She's young you know.

Yeah.

And she's your daughter.

Adopted.

West Coast Independent said...

Ann:

I'll have to watch TRL again to see what you enjoy so much about it. Like Dave, I seem to remember being disappointed with the movie. I know I enjoy all of the actors that appeared in the movie. I'll get back with you to after I see it again.

Gordon Freece said...

Rick Lee - here's the CNN article with a link to the gallery in the sidebar.

And speaking of the Stones, I just found on CNN.com that Billy Preston's gone. That was him on "Criss Cross Man", wasn't it? If you ever doubt that there's genuine justice in the world, just contemplate the fact that Preston outlived Brian "The Human Boat-Anchor" Jones by almost forty years.