January 28, 2005

"I can't think of any examples where I said, 'Gosh, I wish I had more power.'"

A memorable quote from President Bush, from the NYT interview. Here's the context:
On whether the powers of the presidency are adequate to deal with the threat from terrorism:

I felt the powers were adequate. The - obviously, one area where the power of the president is in dispute is when it comes to how you deal with illegal noncombatants. That's a the new area of law.

And that will be adjudicated in the courts over time.

As you know, I made a decision based upon presidential power. I think - no, I can't think of any examples where I said, 'Gosh, I wish I had more power.' I felt like I had plenty to do the job.

Of course, he has his interpretation of the scope of presidential powers that not everyone agrees with. But under that interpretation, he has "plenty to do the job."

No comments: