September 25, 2004

Approaching football.

So I did go take that walk I was talking about in the last post. The football stadium is six blocks from my house. On the third block of the walk, things could not be more peaceful:



On the fourth block, I take a quiet pause and admire the architecture:



It's not hard to guess the architect of that house (in front). It's even easier to guess the architect of the house next to it:



At the fifth block, I pass two little kids selling parking in their driveway for $20. I see the first signs of red and white:



Finally, I see the crowd converging on the stadium. They arrive from the north:



And they arrive from the south:



Some make their way up into the stadium:



Some loll around on the security barricades:



These two ask me to take their picture:



I ask if it's okay if I put the picture on my website, and they say "You can if you write that we're the coolest people you ever met."

Look, even the stop signs are red and white:



Across from the stadium, there are the parties:



Mothers, did you send your boys to college to drink beer while standing on the edge of a roof?



But no one fell, and the overloaded triple-deck porches seemed to hold up under the weight of all the young kids:



And everyone seemed to be having a mellow, happy time:



I guess it's on ESPN. Why don't you watch, and root for the Badgers?

UPDATE: Congratulations to the Badgers on their victory. Consolation to Penn State, with good wishes for their injured quarterback.

No comments: